Roleplay Warehouse

Hello and welcome to the Roleplay Warehouse! Please register to participate. It is highly recommended that participants are on daily, know proper grammar and spacing, and are proficient writers before joining. Zero tolerance for drama, and Admins can and will delete without warning if they suspect you are a problem.

Roleplay Warehouse

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for the most Elite of writers and story-writers.

2 posters

Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format]

Jack the Frostbucket
    Jack the Frostbucket
    The Visitor
    The Visitor

Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format] Empty Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format]

Post by Jack the Frostbucket Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:53 pm

I have sort of two ideas with this, that kind of correspond to each other. 

The first idea is to make our own tragedy, completely from scratch, all original. 

The second idea is go along one of the story-lines of one of Shakespeare's tragedies (ex. Romeo and Juliet ( this is not the best love story ever, just sayin'), Hamlet, Macbeth), using the absolute bare minimum of it and branching off with our own ideas an such. 

I love both ideas. Idea one would be a lot harder for sure, but in the end we can saw "We did that shit. We wrote that ourselves, with one hundred original ideas." Idea two is a bit easier, and could also be equally as great. 

Now, for anyone that's not clear...

TRAGEDY = EVERYONE DIES

If this idea goes ahead, I seriously don't want people saying that their character survived. No, that's not how it works. You're supposed to die, that's why it's a tragedy. No bullshit excuses, and no whining if a character gets killed off early. That's the point

Another thing I'd like to point out, is hat in a tragedy the character(s) start 'at the top of the world' and then fall into the deepest depths of the Dead Sea - in other words, they fall from grace.

Shakespearean-styled tragedies happen in five acts - that sounds short, but it's not. A Shakespeare play runs from anywhere between three hours to six hours (the tend to be the longer ones, whereas comedies were short), and on average has at least 30, 000 lines. Remember - all these lines were dialogue, since it was a screenplay. Of course, we're doing full out detail, no screenplay shit here.

Each act has a number of scenes. Acts are not the same length as each other, and they do not have the same amount of scenes, either. Acts II and III are by far the longest, with Act V being the shortest. 

*NOTE* The Acts and Scenes will be decided by whomever is running the RP. I can take charge of this, since it is my idea, but I don't have really any experience in running an RP. If people want to run it with me, or would like to take it over, then by all means go ahead.

I'd also like to state that this RP requires good grammar and spelling, the ability to think on your feet, and a good idea how to structure sentences and paragraphs. Each person involved should play more than one character, and there will be NPCs as well (ex. Messenger 1, Messenger 2, Messenger 3). 

Just remember that all characters will die, no ifs ands or buts. ESPECIALLY MAIN CHARACTERS.

Now for a basic run-down of the structure of a Shakespearean tragedy. 

ACT I: Exposition and Introduction
    ACT II: Rising Action
    ACT III: Climax
    ACT IV: Falling Action
    ACT V: Resolution Denoument (Since it's not a happy ending, it's not really a 'resolution', correct?)

The names pretty much speak for themselves, but I'll delve a little deeper and explain what exactly is needed in each act. 

ACT I

In act one, everything is introduced - the characters, the themes, the primary conflicts. This is the act that starts off the whole story. It is required that all themes are initially expressed in this act. Therefore, if the theme 'cheaters never win' is not expressed in act one, then it is not expressed at all.

ACT II

This is the build-up to the climax. Thatcouldbetakeninmorewaysthanone.  During the rising action, the conflicts introduced in act one are further complicated with secondary conflicts. These conflicts are to prevent the characters from reaching their goal, whatever that is. Some may overcome the obstacles, others will, without a doubt, perish. 

ACT III

This is the turning point for the whole story. It's where things either get better or worse for the characters - and being a tragedy, it most definitely gets worse. The characters' position of being so high up begins to unravel, and they begin their haphazard descent downwards into despair. This act is where most of the action and drama takes place.

ACT IV

The conflict between the 'protagonists' and the 'antagonists' comes forth, and it is clearly decided who wins or loses. In a tragedy, even the wining side dies. Keep that in mind. 

ACT V

The end of the story. All the loose-ends are cut, anything unclear is answered, etc. Anyone who is not already dead, dies. This is an emotional release, or catharsis. 

Now, this might sound like a crazy idea - and believe me, it is - but it's an idea that Ive had in my head for over two years now. I absolutely love Shakespeare, which means I'm probably a huge nerd, and I've always had a thing for tragedies. 

Anyways:

Again, looking for people that can properly achieve the literal basics: spelling, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, as well as think of their feet and go into detail. I'm not going to label this as advanced, because by no means am I necessarily advanced. Like at all. I have a long way to go before I can be considered as such, and I recognize that fact. Still, I'd rather this RP be down 'properly' - this is basically my dream roleplay. 

Character-wise, each person would need to play more than one character, otherwise we're just waiting too much on others. Plus, you don't get killed out right away if you have more than one character. 

On the subject of characters, both protagonists AND antagonists are required. Note: a protagonist does not have to be a hero, they are simply a main character in the story. An antagonist is the force that acts against the protagonists, but they don't always have to be a villian - or even a person. 

Both main characters AND side-characters are needed. Sorry, but not everyone can be a main character. That would get way to hectic. We need more side-characters than main characters, anyways. 

Death is required. If character death upsets you, then don't join... and possibly don't read. 

Literally, this is going to be no filter. Why? Because fuck you that's why. It's a tragedy, we need all of those mature themes in there. Bring on the torture, bring on the death, bring on the language, bring on the adultery. 

Note: We're not writing in the weird-ass English Shakespeare did. Just thought I'd point that out. 

I'm open to pretty much anything, but if it's idea number one, there is some serious plotting involved. Like a lot. We need to go into this with a plan, sort of thing. But yeah, that's my idea. I can't think of anything else, but I might add to it later.
    Raphiella Blu Azure
    Raphiella Blu Azure
    MakeShift Goddess
    MakeShift Goddess

Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format] Empty Re: Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format]

Post by Raphiella Blu Azure Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:15 pm

This is starting to remind me of the Original YGO Series and the Angelics Series.

Getting people attached, then mass murdering our characters in vile fashions. I might be able to get on board with this shit, though I know nothing of written tragedies in that formatting style.

I'd just write shit and make a run for it, hoping it was working out right lmfao.

But I think it's good someone set up boundaries for each section, you just gotta determine how many posts long each one will be or it'll be a royal bitch to keep track of. You'll also need some really fucking good writers too, which is hard to find. We need more people to join this site I think.
    Jack the Frostbucket
    Jack the Frostbucket
    The Visitor
    The Visitor

Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format] Empty Re: Shakespearean-styled RP [Tragedy Format]

Post by Jack the Frostbucket Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Oh, woops(?). Though, those sound like amazing series. 

In 'classical tragedies' it's just "Oh, I am dead", but I'm really looking forward to graphic death scenes and such. I mean, if this goes through and all. Which I hope it does. 

The formatting is just sort of a loose sort of 'skeleton' for my idea, kind of thing? I mean, it's basically there just to keep everyone on track. Especially since Acts II and III are by far the longest, and Act V is the absolute shortest. 

This RP would/will take a lot of work, and I'm very ready to get off my ass and put in that effort. But for sure, I'd need good writers. We do need more people. 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 pm